We need 500 bikes to fill a container … some local people have managed to collect more than 100 bikes very quickly … there are so many unwanted bikes in people’s sheds and garages!
The secret is organisation … a rural community in The Chew Valley near Bristol collected over 500 bikes in 3 weeks … a local business donated transport to get the bikes to us … collection day was every Sunday between 9 am and noon.
How did they do it? One person got a team together (the team bit is important - Together Everyone Acheives More) to organise the main activities …
- Prepare and distribute posters and leaflets
- Involve local newspaper (link coming soon to example press release and three press articles)
- The local radio station advertised the event every Saturday morning
- Spoke to local service clubs, Rotary, Round Table, Lions and faith groups (link coming soon to ‘Where do you get the bikes from’)
- The village hall was booked for the Sunday mornings
- Large cars were needed to collect bikes from people’s homes - trailer or van would help
A local farmer donated space in a barn but an unused warehouse would do for short term storage.
- 100 plus bikes will need an articulated lorry
- 80 bikes fit into a 7.5 tonner
- 35/40 – need a Luton van
- 20 bikes will go into a long wheel based transit
- You need help to pack the bikes onto the vehicles
- To help with transport costs, make and sell cakes in the village hall
- see http://www.re-cycle.org/resources/fundraising