Derek and Merlin have been visiting other workshops with Michael Linke, founder and director of BEN Namibia:
Brief update, as sending as email via mobile, Very Slow up country...
Getting a better understanding of how BEN operate.
Hard Working Men's Bicycle Shop:
- Moses drove us to visit the Jane, the head of Catholic AIDS Action, who support all the projects in this region. The projects give 10% of their profits to CAA, to help their work, such as taking children to a holiday camp, providing school uniforms and supplies, and feeding programs
- he has helped very good community mobiliser, networking between the three local shops
- moving their container to a lovely new location on a main road, next to where the pensions are paid out monthly
Tuliwonde Bicycle Shop:
- a great team, with women mechanics. They'd really like better quality bikes than those they're getting from the current supplier (which is not Re~Cycle)
- made a short film with them, what they like, what some of their challenges are
- met a ranger who'd brought in a Chinese bike for a new tyre, after he'd only had it for a week